Monday, July 19, 2010

How To Survive a Rip Current

This past Sunday I was surfing at Deerfield Beach. While I was paddling back to shore two people were motioning for help. I paddled my surf board toward them and helped them back to shore. On the drive home I thought what would have happened to the those two guys if I wasn't in the water today ? Would they have made it ? I decided to write a blog posting about rip currents. Rip Currents or Rips, are located close to shore and are channels that are deeper than the surrounding ocean bottom. Water flows through these channels back to sea. If a swimmer gets in this area they are pulled out to sea.

The first thing is to avoid a rip current. The video below will give you a few tips on how to spot a rip current. Swim between the flags. Don't go in the water alone. If caught in a rip current don't panic, relax. Raise your hand and motion for help. Swim parallel with the shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment